Pages

Friday, November 10, 2017

Testing Mod Journey

This fall I got the opportunity to test a new pattern for Sew Kind of Wonderful, the beautiful Mod Journey.


I chose to make my test version as a baby quilt in bright florals on a blue/grey background. The pattern uses the QCR Mini Ruler. I enjoy curved piecing, and the blocks came together pretty fast.


This is how the top looked after piecing. Lots of negative space. This demands creative quilting!


Earlier on I have mostly done straight line quilting, but also some simple free motion quilting. This time I felt I had to jump in with both feet and really challenge myself. Since the quilt is only 40" square, I felt I didn't bite over too much.


I am going to an "advanced" FMQ class this coming weekend, and I needed some real practice. The above picture shows the quilting in detail. I marked the main the center ring of the quilted flowers with a water soluble pen, but the rest of the quilting was done completely free handed. I used a steel grey quilting thread that blends in perfectly with the background.

The quilting is kind of wonky in places, but as a first attempt in "serious" FMQ I am very pleased with the result!


I had to take a 'stained glass' picture of the quilt in the late afternoon sun. For the backing I used Britten Nummer from Ikea. The quilting shows off very well on the backing fabric.




This quilt was a great experience both in piecing and quilting! I am so happy that I got the chance to test out a new pattern, and that I dared to challenge myself with extended FMQ.

I am ready for my quilting class now!

Keep on quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I am thrilled with you learning FMQ especially since I am still too scared to try =) The quilt turned out so wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!